January 31st, 2023
Rebasing Large Patches
Rebasing steps after many merges from the base branch into the target branch:
- Create a new branch for the rebasing work.
- Do an initial rebase without modifying the branches history - the goal is to purely update the target branch to be based off the new base commit.
- Compare the tree of original branch and the new "rebase" branch, ideally, if the original branch was up-to-date with the target branch, then the "rebase" and "original" branch file trees are identical.
- Now that the rebase branch is based off the new base commit, do another rebase, making whatever changes you want to the branch.
"Dark mode" should really be thought of as "dark gray mode". Some of these UI designers go full black, and in my opinion, it's even harder on the eyes than white.
January 23rd, 2023
A fun read on the history of the metric system and the US: It's been 230 years since British pirates robbed the US of the metric system.
January 6th, 2023
Code should read from the top down, and it should tell you as soon as possible when you can quit reading.
January 5th, 2023
Now that the value of posting on a "status update" site has lessened (Twitter), I'm happy with splitting my posts between two different mediums:
- Topical content? Mastodon.
- Other content? My notes.
Note posted on Friday, January 6, 2023 4:23 PM CST - link