David Vedvick - Computer Engineer
ProtoLabs July 2015 – Present
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed automated acceptance test builds and architecture
- Used existing build technology (CruiseControl.net)
- Automated acceptance tests used Gherkin methodology
- Intended to run on entire stack, but within domain of team
- Automated acceptance tests ran automatically after a build and deployment was completed
- Engineer on the pricing team
- Focusing on delivering prices to customers using custom price algorithms
- Prices stay locked in indefinitely when a customer sees a production price for the first time
Rosemount (Emerson Process Management) June 2014 – June 2015
- Maintained a click-once application to track and run hundreds of hardware tests on Rosemount pressure products
- Reduced frequency of crashed tests runs
- Improved reliability of communications with Modbus serial devices using an event-driven architecture
- Built an extensible tool to communicate directly with devices in the application to perform diagnostics on devices – HART and Modbus had so far been implemented
- Introduced code reviews to supervisor to improve code quality and spread knowledge of changes
- Re-established the use of development and release branches to enable more responsive development from the team
- Maintained a Silverlight Line-of-Business application for creating and tracking
test jobs using entity framework and a RIA services back-end
- Converted usage of a single shared connection across View Models to properly scoped database connections, eliminating possibility of different entities overwriting each other's data
- Switched from use of a full database for unit testing to using MOQ, improving speed and reproducibility of bugs discovered in unit testing
- Streamlined and improved Job search functionality
- Improved load times in multiple areas of the application
QuadraMed March 2012 – June 2014
- Maintained a Hospital scheduling application with 20 years of history, used by dozens of hospitals
- Modified the processing model of a faxing application written in C# to better support multi-threading
- Analyzed and developed a new model for grouping appointments together into associated procedures
- Ported old DLL plug-in to be in the actual client program and utilize the web
- Wrote a wrapper around the automatically generated Delphi web service client to enable easy client configuration and instantiation
- Ported an e-mail appointment reminder service from a MAPI-based Delphi client
to use POP3 and SMTP using C#
- Added support for automatically attaching vCal’s so that the appointment could be added to a patient’s calendar program (such as Outlook or Gmail)
- Built a tool for searching Crystal Reports 9
- Supports Regular Expression searches as well as normal text searches
- Searches recursively through sub-documents
- Coded in Delphi since the Crystal Reports library that QuadraMed owned did not natively support C#
Meridian Technologies January 2010 – March 2012
Wells Fargo Custom Docs
- Developer on an ASP.Net project that generated custom Loan Agreements based on information about the borrower and Lender.
- Utilized SQL Server 2008 to store the database.
- Mapped Loan Agreement templates with conditions in Excel, wrote C# command line utility to load documents using the SQL and Excel COM object libraries into the database.
- Developed with a team the site for the Loan Administrator to enter in information that fed into the documents; created the interface using a combination of jQuery and the AJAX Control Toolkit.
- Developed a rendering engine for the Loan Agreements; was fully conditional and logically complete. Text could be displayed depending on whether a condition was true or not, and fields from the UI could feed into the Loan Agreement.
- Rendered Loan Agreements were then editable in a WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE) and also printable via iTextSharp.
- Numerous improvements were made in the iTextSharp source code to improve compatibility with the HTML specifications.
Emerson Process Management Co-op May 2008 – December 2008
Software Testing intern
- Developed Software Verification and Test Documents and executed test Cases
Undergraduate Experience August 2004 – December 2009
- Developed Digital Systems Testing projects in C++
- Developed applications for embedded processors in C and VHDL
- Experience with Microsoft Assembler
- Actively developing music canoe, an Android audio streaming client that interfaces with JRiver Media Center
- Developed store website (www.deliciouspc.com) using PHP (CakePHP MVC framework), MySQL and Linux
- http://davidvedvick.info — Blog where I explain and cover my thoughts on technology and demonstrate hobby projects I'm working on.
- https://github.com/danrien — GitHub profile
Bachelor's of Science in Computer Engineering; North Dakota State University (December 2009)
NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (November 2009)